Individual English Story Books: Little Treasure Island


Figure 1.-- "Little Treasure Island - Her Story and Her Glory" was written by Arthur Mee, psometime in the 1920s.The book has many illustrations and has stirring patriotic accounts of the birth of the British Isles and of it's rich, noble and proud history. Image courtesy od the AM collection.

A HBC reader has sent us some information about Little Treasure Island - Her Story and Her Glory. It was written by Arthur Mee, and according to the opening credits, was also the editor of The Children's Newspaper and The Children's Encyclopedia. Little Treasure Island is an intensely patriotic book no doubt intended to further national pride of the country of England. Whilst there is no publishing date, the book is dedicated as a Christmas gift 'To dear Jock, With best love and best wishes. From Uncle Alf and Auntie ???. Xmas 1927'. One assumes the book is a gift to a nephew. The book has many illustrations and has stirring patriotic accounts of the birth of the British Isles and of it's rich, noble and proud history: "Far away from the Island, out in Saskatchewan, a Red Indian schoolboy was looking at a map. They showed him the British Isles, and he looked with astonishment at the little spots. He could not believe so small a space stood for the home of the British Empire." Enclosed is an illustration from the book which is somewhat unusual for these books. The caption of the illustration says: "One of the most pathetic scenes in Shakespeare - Arthur's appeal to Hurbert. 'Will you put out mine eyes - these eyes that never did, nor never did, nor never shall, so much as frown on you?" Itwas from the painting by W. F. Yeames, R.A., now hanging in the Manchester Art Gallery.

Author

Little Treasure Island - Her Story and Her Glory was written by Arthur Mee, and according to the opening credits, was also the editor of The Children's Newspaper and The Children's Encyclopedia.

Theme

Little Treasure Island is an intensely patriotic book no doubt intended to further national pride of the country of England. The book stresses England's achievements, strength and glory. "The Flag that stirs the World" is one of the chapters in the book.

Chronology

Whilst there is no publishing date, but this was the 4th prining. We believe the book was published in the 1920s. An indication od the publication date results from the fact that the book was dedicated as a Christmas gift 'To dear Jock, With best love and best wishes. From Uncle Alf and Auntie ???. Xmas 1927'. One assumes the book is a gift to a nephew.

Illustrations

The book has many fascinating illustrations and it outlines the heroic, turbulent and fascinating history of the British Isles in a most absorbing manner. We do not know, however, who did the illustrations.

Contents

The book and has stirring patriotic accounts of the birth of the British Isles and of it's rich, noble and proud history: "Far away from the Island, out in Saskatchewan, a Red Indian schoolboy was looking at a map. They showed him the British Isles, and he looked with astonishment at the little spots. He could not believe so small a space stood for the home of the British Empire."

There were many accounts from English history and biographical information on imprtant English leaders. Here a wide variety of individuals are presented. One example was the Venerable Bede.

The book also has a stirring chapter on Shakespeare : 'We came to Shakespeare for all of these, for infinitely more than these, and he does not fail us. He is the voice of England that will never die. When kings and thrones have perished from the earth, he will sit enthroned in the hearts of men; and the treasure he gave us, the precious stone he set in the midst of the Island to endure for ever, is yours and mine." Enclosed is an illustration from the book which is somewhat unusual for these books. The caption of the illustration says: "One of the most pathetic scenes in Shakespeare - Arthur's appeal to Hurbert. 'Will you put out mine eyes - these eyes that never did, nor never did, nor never shall, so much as frown on you?" It was from the painting by W. F. Yeames, R.A., now hanging in the Manchester Art Gallery.







HBC







Navigate the HBC literary pages' Historical Clothing Web Site:
[Return to the main Main individual English story book page]
[Return to the main Main children's literary page]
[Return to the main Main literary page]



Navigate the Boys' Historical Clothing Web Site:
[Introduction] [Activities] [Biographies] [Chronology] [Clothing styles] [Countries] [Girls]
[Bibliographies] [Contributions] [FAQs] [Glossaries] [Satellite sites] [Tools]
[Boys' Clothing Home]




Created: May 10, 2003
Last updated: May 11, 2003